Roslyn Packer Theatre Walsh Bay,
- Dates & Prices
- Behind the Scenes Events
- Why Subscribe?
- Perform with Sydney Dance Company
Sydney Dance Company celebrates 50 years of defining contemporary dance with a thrilling double bill from Rafael Bonachela and Gideon Obarzanek, choreographers who have, in their unique ways, defined the art form and helped take Australian dance to the world.
Bonachela and Obarzanek will join forces in 2019 to celebrate a half-century of Sydney Dance Company dance making in a double bill climaxing in Us 50, a grand-scale work by Obarzanek featuring 50 performers made up of past dancers that have graced our stage, current Company dancers, and members of our community.
“When we speak about 50 years of a dance company we also speak about 50 years of dance making,” says Obarzanek. “What is made, however, is ephemeral. The dancer’s body… can be videoed and photographed but dance itself only truly exists when it is danced. So the history of the Company is stored and transmitted through the bodies of its dancers and collected in the memory of its audiences.”
Completing the double bill is Bonachela’s award winning 6 Breaths. Since it’s 2010 premiere 6 Breaths has toured to New York, London, Barcelona, the Venice Biennale in Italy and the prestigious Movimentos Festival in Germany. A symphony of dance, music by Italian composer Ezio Bosso and costume design by Josh Goot, this emotive work will take your breath away.
Join Sydney Dance Company in a celebration of its past, present and future. This is an anniversary you cannot miss!
“The history of the Company is in the bodies of the dancers and the memories of the audience.” – Gideon Obarzanek
“If you imagine the cellos being the lungs and Ezio making them breathe for the first time. He took my breath away.” – Rafael Bonachela (6 Breaths)
“The curtain-raiser, for six cellos and a piano, is a real beauty. 6 Breaths is an artfully abstract journey through the cycle of life but based upon breathing. Thoughtful, refined and musical…” – The London Times
Save 15% on Season Two tickets when purchased as part of a Sydney Subscription. Subscribe Now.
Buy a Gift Voucher here.
1 – 9 Nov
Roslyn Packer Theatre Walsh Bay, Sydney
Fri 1 Nov, 7.30pm (Preview)
Sat 2 Nov, 7.30pm (Opening Night)
Mon 4 Nov, 12pm (Schools Matinee)
Tue 5 Nov, 6.30pm
Wed 6 Nov, 6.30pm
Thu 7 Nov, 7.30pm
Fri 8 Nov, 7.30pm
Sat 9 Nov, 2pm (Matinee)
Sat 9 Nov, 7.30pm
Pricing & Ticket Information
Preview performance (Fri 1 Nov): All tickets $45*
Single standard tickets: $45 – $98*
Under 30’s (Wed, Thurs, Sat 2pm): $35*
Under 20’s (Wed, Thurs, Sat 2pm): $25*
Group bookings: Receive $10 off tickets for groups 10+. The organiser receives their ticket for free. Bookings via the phone only: 02 9221 4811.
Company Class Viewing
Sat 9 Nov, 12pm – 12:45pm (Prior to the 2pm Matinee)
A unique opportunity to witness a behind the scenes class the Company take on stage before their performance of Season Two: Bonachela / Obarzanek. Join us for an exclusive sneak peek into the life of a professional dancer.BOOK NOW
1. Best Seats – Enjoy priority booking ahead of the general public so you can renew your favourite seats and book in your year of extraordinary dance.
2. Best Price – Save 15% on tickets to Season One and Two.
3. Behind The Scenes Experiences – Go behind the curtain with our 2019 artists and Company dancers. Find out fun facts and what life is like as a dancer.
4. Flexibility – Unlimited free ticket exchanges.
5. Exclusive Offers – Subscribe to the full year by 1 Dec 2018 with the code SDC2019 to go in the draw to WIN A Hobart Art Weekend! Plus receive a range of arts and dining offers (T&Cs online). See full list of benefits below.
All 2019 Subscribers will be posted a subscription card that entitles them to the following benefits valid from 1 January until 31 December 2019. All promo codes and links required will be supplied with subscription cards and via email.
- Unlimited FREE ticket exchanges with Sydney Dance Company ($6.50 fee waived)
- Invitations to Sydney Dance Company behind the scenes events
- Free programs and monthly eNewsletter
- Sydney Dance Company Dance Classes: 3 complimentary classes available for each subscriber. To redeem present your card at Studio Reception for the classes to be loaded onto your card. View Class Timetable here.
- Art Gallery of NSW: Receive tickets at concession price for the exhibitions Masters of modern art from the Hermitage (Until 3 Mar 2019) and The essential Duchamp (27 Apr – 11 Aug 2019) at the Art Gallery of New South Wales. Simply display your Sydney Dance Company subscriber card at the Gallery’s ticketing and information desk on arrival to receive the discount.
- Australian Chamber Orchestra: Receive 10% off full price adult tickets for the ACO’s 2019 mainstage performances nationwide. Redeem using the promo code provided with your subscription card.
- Dendy Cinemas: Receive 20% off Adult tickets at Dendy Newtown and Dendy Opera Quays upon presentation of a valid Sydney Dance Company subscriber card. This offer is not valid on Saturdays after 5pm, public holidays, Dendy Arts, Dendy Lounge, Festivals, special events and premieres. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer. Only available when purchasing tickets in person at the Dendy Box Office.
- Ensemble Theatre: Receive 10% discount on full priced single tickets to Ensemble Theatre plays in 2019. Book via phone to access this special offer. T: 02 9929 0644 – Quote the code provided with your subscription card.
- Griffin Theatre: Enjoy concession priced tickets to Griffin Theatre Company productions in 2019. Redeem by using the promo code provided with your subscription card online, via (02) 9361 3817, or at the box office. Offer excludes ATYP @ Griffin events.
- Opera Australia: Receive an 8% discount* on single tickets to Opera Australia’s 2019 performances in the Joan Sutherland Theatre, Sydney Opera House, Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour and the State Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne. Quote the promo code provided with your subscription card when booking directly with Opera Australia. Phone (02) 9318 8200 (Sydney) or (03) 9685 3700 (Melbourne), or visit opera.org.au and enter the promo code before selecting your performance and seats.*Valid until 7 December 2019. Limit of 4 tickets per production per customer. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Excludes performances of West Side Story at the Sydney Opera House and Arts Centre Melbourne, Evita and events on New Year’s Eve.
- Pinchgut Opera: Receive 10% off tickets to Pinchgut Opera’s Concert Series in 2019. Pinchgut Opera present Bach & Telemann in Sydney and Melbourne, an evening of uplifting elegance and grace, and a special one-night only concert in Sydney featuring shining countertenor Valer Sabadus. Use promo code provided with your subscription card when booking tickets to unlock this special offer through this link.
- Sydney Festival: Enjoy 20% off full price A Reserve or General Admission tickets to Dust and One Infinity. Use promo code provided with your subscription card for use on Sydney Festival bookings only via sydneyfestival.org.au. The offer will be valid from 3 December 2018 – 28 December 2018 unless ticket allocations are exhausted earlier.
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra: Receive a 10% discount (A, B & C reserves) on all Sydney Symphony 2019 Subscription Season concerts, available from 19 November 2018. Quote promotion code provided with your subscription card when you book online or call (02) 8215 4600. Visit www.sydneysymphony.com for performance details.(Terms and conditions apply: Cannot be used in conjunction with Special Events, special offers, concessions, subscription packages or Sydney Symphony Presents performances. Booking fee may apply. Valid via the Sydney Symphony Box Office only.)
- Sydney Theatre Company: $10 off Adult A-reserve tickets to 2019 main season plays presented the Drama Theatre and Roslyn Packer Theatre. This offer is subject to availability with a maximum purchase of two tickets per member, per production, and excludes Saturday evening performances. The valid productions in 2019 main season are Mary Stuart, How to Rule the World, Mosquitoes, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Torrents, Lord of the Files, Avalanche: A Love Story, The Real Thing, Cosi, The Beauty Queen of Leenane. Ticket on sale dates are available on the individual play pages at www.sydneytheatre.com.au. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any special offer or concession and is not valid for Season Tickets.
- Ventuno: Enjoy an intimate preshow dinner on the wharf with exceptional Italian cuisine and fantastic views of Walsh Bay at Ventuno. Receive 10% off your meal on presentation of your 2019 Subscriber card.
Subscribe to the full year from only $111.50*.
Buy a Gift Voucher here.
Us 50 On Stage Performance Volunteer
Join us for an exciting opportunity to be part of our 50th Anniversary Celebrations!
We are looking for 23 volunteers to perform each night on stage with Sydney Dance Company. This is not a call out to professional dancers. We are looking for a diverse range of people; all ages (14+), all shapes and sizes. No performance or dance experience is necessary.
All you need to do purchase tickets to Season Two: Bonachela / Obarzanek and fill in an application form. If you have already purchased tickets and wish to submit an application email email@example.comBOOK NOW
How many people will be participating?
There will be 23 volunteer participants per show, along with our company of dancers and 10 dancer alumni who have graced the stages with Sydney Company over the past 50 years.
How do you choose people if you’ve never met us?
We are looking to bring together as diverse a group as possible each night, other than this we have no special criteria.
I want to bring my child with me on stage. Is this possible?
We are limiting participants to age 14 and up. If you are between the ages of 14-18 and are chosen to join the performance a parent/guardian permission form will also be required.
Can I organise a group of friends to all do it together?
Yes absolutely, please include full details of your friends in your application form.
When will I know if I’ve been successful?
We will be letting all applicants know in late September, via the email address entered with the application. Please keep an eye out for this!
What do I wear? Will they make me wear lycra?
You will wear your own clothing and flat closed in shoes – high heels, sandals, thongs and strappy shoes are not allowed on stage.
How long will we be onstage?
You will be on stage for the last portion of the work Us 50, for approximately 10 minutes. Us 50 is after the interval for the evening, you will remain in your booked seats up to this time. More instructions will be provided in your pre-show briefing!
Are we all doing the same thing, or will I be singled out and expected to do things on my own?
You will receive instructions at your pre-show briefing and we don’t want to give too much away! However, we do promise it will be a supportive environment and lots of fun.
How hard is the movement going to be?
The movement will not be hard at all. You don’t need any experience in any style of dance or any performance experience, just a willingness to follow instructions.
Why do I need to be there an hour before to show starts?
We will be briefing volunteers 1 hour before the show starts about the performance – there is no rehearsal so it’s crucial that you arrive for this. At this briefing you will receive a set of in-ear-monitors (these are small headphones) from which you will get live instructions during the performance. We also need to pass on health and safety information from the theatre to make sure you and the other performers are safe on stage and in the venue.
Can I do this on my own?
Yes you can volunteer on your own, or with a guest or multiple guests. Everyone will need to have purchased a ticket to the show however and be seated in the stalls.
Do I take my belongings on stage with me? Or where do I leave them?
No you can’t take your belongings on stage, we recommend checking your bag at the coat check, or leaving at your seat with your guest if they are not also volunteering.
Will my friends be able to take photos / videos of me on stage? Can I take my phone on stage with me?
We ask that you don’t take your phone on stage or ask friends to take photos as this will disrupt the performance, however we are arranging a photo opportunity for each performance that you can be part of.
I am in a wheelchair / have limited mobility. Can I still participate?
Yes we aim to be as inclusive as possible, please provide details in your application so we are able to make appropriate arrangements.
My seat is in the Circle, can I still participate and go on stage?
Unfortunately due to the logisitics of getting patrons on to the stage, this opportunity is only open to people sitting in the stalls. If you are currently sitting in the Circle and wish to move to the stalls please contact our Box Office on 9221 4811. All subject to availability.
I’ve been successful but now I need to change my date. Can I still go on stage on the new date?
If there is availability on your new date we will be able to include you in the performance, if not we can place you on a waiting list and keep you posted if the opportunity arises.
Will there be any strobe lightening or haze when we are on stage?
Haze and strobe may be used in the performance of Us 50 during the volunteer section, we will confirm this closer to the performance, as soon as we have that information. There will be bright lights and loud music which can be disorienting for some people. You should be in good health and free from any potentially adverse medical conditions triggered by these effects. You should seek medical advice if uncertain.
What if I change my mind while I’m sitting there watching the performance?
We are confident that you will be comfortable to get up on stage following our pre-show briefing. We would really like everyone to participate as it is an important part of the work and will make each performance unique and special. Talk to us if you are worried about what is expected!