From Pre-Professional Year student to Company dancer (trainee), we asked Izzac Carroll to give us the inside scoop on what it’s like to be traveling with Sydney Dance Company for the first time:
1. Tell us a bit about your journey from Pre-Professional Year to Company dancer trainee.
I started the Pre-Professional Year course 3 years ago now. During my second year (under scholarship) I received an apprenticeship with the Company. My professional debut was with Sydney Dance Company’s Untamed featuring Rafael Bonachela’s Anima and Gabrielle Nankville’s Wildebeest.
2. What has been your most enjoyable performance moment so far?
Well, I actually think the most enjoyable performance is going to be in Rafael’s upcoming work Ocho. The reason for that is because I feel like I will actually be able to delve into my own style a bit more and dance something that my movement is suited too.
3. Is there anything about performing that scares you? (even if it’s in a good way)
Everything kind of scares me, but I think that’s just more of a reason to do it because it’s also pretty exciting.
4. What are you most excited about for your first international tour with Sydney Dance Company?
I’m super excited about eating dunkin donuts everyday.
5. Do you have a travel playlist for the USA? What are your top 3 songs on that playlist.
My 3 top songs for the trip are –
- Caroline – Amine
- #29 Stafford APTS – Bon Iver
- Hey Ya – Outkast
Sydney Dance Company is currently on tour in the USA until 12 March.Click here for more information on our international tour.
You can also catch Izzac Carroll in our upcoming show Orb, premiering in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.
29 April – 27 May
Image features Company dancers on tour in Massachusetts, USA (Dancers from left to right: Nelson Earl, Izzac Carroll and Petros Treklis).