School Holiday Workshops
Contemporary Youth Classes
Purchase A Dance Class Gift Voucher
Download our Classes App
Buy Dance Wear
Our Open Program was established in 1976 offering 70 dance and fitness classes each week (for ages 16 and up) – there’s something for everyone at any experience level!
Our superb amenities include four large world-class dance studios overlooking Sydney Harbour, hot showers, toilets, change rooms and a spacious and airy café with views of the Harbour Bridge.
Classes are run on a casual drop-in basis. There are no terms or start dates, so you can join in at any time of the year.
PLEASE NOTE: CLASSES HAVE A MAXIMUM CAPACITY. TO AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT AND CONFIRM YOUR PLACE, BOOK IN VIA THE WEBSITE OR THE SYDNEY DANCE COMPANY APP.
How do I attend a class?
- Purchase your Single Ticket or Ticket Pack online.
- Schedule your class online. (you can cancel the booking up to 2 hours prior to the start time if you change your mind.)
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time of class and SIGN IN at our Reception Desk to confirm your arrival, before entering the Studio.
- If you purchase a Ticket Pack, the Receptionist will issue you with an Electronic Swipe Card, which you scan before entry, each time you attend a class at the studio.
You can also download our classes app to book and schedule classes. Download here.
Tickets can also be purchased in person from our reception desk and you can attend the class on a casual drop-in basis. The Reception Desk is open ½ hour prior to the start time of each class.
$22 Casual Visit
$60 – 3 ticket pack (valid for 6 months)
$90 – 5 ticket pack (valid for 6 months)
$160 – 10 ticket pack (valid for 6 months)
Purchase a Dance Class Gift Voucher here.
Any questions? Please phone 02 9258 4818 or email us.
Sydney Dance Company Studios
Pier 4, 15 Hickson Road
Sydney 2000 (near The Rocks)
Click here to plan your trip to Sydney Dance Company.
Circular Quay station
From Circular Quay or Wynyard train stations, walk up George Street through The Rocks until you get to a T-intersection. Turn left into Lower Fort street, cross the street, and just past the pedestrian crossing, you’ll see see a pathway (opposite the Harbourview Hotel). Go down the path and you’ll see The Wharf in front of you. Go down the stairs, turn right, and wind your way onto Hickson Road and walk to The Wharf. The walk from Circular Quay takes approx. 15 minutes.
Alight at the corner of George and Lower Fort Streets and use the steps off Lower Fort Street
Alight on Lower Fort Street near Windmill Street and travel down Windmill and Pottinger Streets
Click here for updated timetable info.
There is metered parking on Hickson Road in front of Pier 4.
Please check the meter on arrival, as the above information is subject to change. From George St, turn right into Hickson Road (last right hand turn before the end of George St) and follow the road round, under the bridge.
Undercover parking stations are also available on Hickson Road.
Please be on time for your class as it is important to warm up properly to avoid injury. No student will be allowed into any class 15 minutes after the class has commenced. A warm-up is included in each 1.5 hour class. We do not provide a separate area or studio for you to do your own warm-up prior to the class start time.
All mobile phones are to be switched off prior to commencement of classes.
Photography and videos
Photography or filming all or any part of a class with a camera, mobile phone or video camera is prohibited for all students. Teachers may on occasion film sections of their choreography or take photos of the class for promotional and archival purposes with your permission.
Sydney Dance Company does not allow any person to watch classes from inside the studio or outside the studio, due to the safety, security and comfort & ease of our students and teachers. Any person inside the dance studio at the time of the class must be participating in the class.
Your cooperation with teachers/staff requests and directions will help to ensure a safe and enjoyable time for all.
Terms & Conditions
- Before attending a dance class at Sydney Dance Company, you agree to provide us with your full name, phone number, email address and next of kin contact details in case of emergency.
- All purchases are final, non-refundable, non-transferable, non extendable and cannot be shared. Cash or eftpos/credit cards are accepted for all purchases. No personal cheques. Tickets are valid for admission into any class at Sydney Dance Company. Tickets and Gift Cards are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase. The 6 month period is inclusive of any public holidays or closures due to the Christmas Holidays or Sydney Writer’s Festival. Lost Class Cards can be replaced for a fee of $5.00.
- Concession discounts are available for current Ausdance and Equity members, Full-time students, Centerlink card holders and Senior Card Holders (ID required). Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis and is not guaranteed.
- Teachers and classes are subject to change. If a class is cancelled or sold out you may be asked to choose another class.
- Sydney Dance Company takes all reasonable care in the conduct of its classes. By entering our dance studio you agree that Sydney Dance Company is in no way responsible for injury or loss caused during classes or whilst participants are at or near the studios. You are responsible for ensuring that you are physically and medically fit for the class and during the class you must take care at all times of your own personal safety. You must monitor the safekeeping of personal belongings while attending class, as Sydney Dance Company does not take responsibility for lost or stolen property.
- You understand that classes at Sydney Dance Company may be physically strenuous and you voluntarily participate in them with full knowledge that there is risk of personal injury, property loss or death. You agree that you will not sue or make any other claims of any kind whatsoever against Sydney Dance Company or its members for any personal injury, property damage/loss, or wrongful death, whether caused by negligence or otherwise.
- Patrons to the Dance Studios will be refused entry if thought to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Sydney Dance Company will issue a refund for a single class under the following circumstances, and provided you leave the class within the first 20 minutes:
1. if you are not satisfied with a substitute teacher;
2. if you are not satisfied with the class for any other reason (eg the level);
3. if you are ill or need to leave in case of personal emergency.
Sydney Dance Company will issue a refund under the following circumstances:
1. the class was cancelled due to lack of numbers;
2. the class was cancelled due to the late arrival, or last minute cancellation by the teacher;
3. the class was cancelled due to an emergency or circumstances beyond our control.
Sydney Dance Company will issue a cash refund provided a single ticket was purchased for $22 cash. Class Card holders (ie. you have purchased a Ticket Pack) will have the class refunded to their account. Ticket pack purchases are final, non-refundable, non-transferable, non extendable and cannot be shared.
For Open Program dance classes for adults, you can cancel your scheduled place in a class up to 2 hours prior to the start time. If you do not cancel within the 2 hour cancellation window, or fail to turn up and sign in for the class, a ticket will be deducted from your account. School Holiday Workshops, Master classes & Youth term classes can only be refunded if the cancellation is due to a medical reason and a medical certificate is provided. We do not provide refunds or transfer of funds for change of mind, personal circumstances or for any other reason under any circumstance.
Sydney Dance Company respects your privacy. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of personal information collected from our customers, suppliers and supporters as stipulated in the Privacy Act 1988. If you disagree with our online privacy policies as set out below, you should not use this website or provide us with your personal details.
Your use of this website is deemed to signify your acceptance of these privacy policies. When and why your information may be requested: You can visit this website and access information without giving us any personal information. However, if you decide to attend a dance class, we require your full name, phone number, email address and next of kin details in case of emergency. We may from time to time, use your email address to send you class reminders, special offers and keep you updated with our activities.
We pledge that any personal information we hold about our customers is kept safely and securely and will never be sold, given or shared with any third party. You have the right to access and correct your personal information and privacy preferences at any time. You can also unsubscribe from our email newsletters or have your name and address details taken off our database at any time. If you would like to update or delete your personal details, please contact Sydney Dance Company by phone on 02 9258 4818 or email us.
What is Sydney Dance Company’s Open Program?
Sydney Dance Company offers dance and fitness classes which are open to the public for ages 16 and over. The classes are for all levels, from absolute beginners to professionals. Classes are offered seven days a week in the morning, evening and on weekends.
Where are the Sydney Dance Company Studios located?
Sydney Dance Company studios are located on Pier 4/5, 15 Hickson Road, Dawes Point, NSW 2000, Australia.
We are located in a historic Wharf building and entry to our studios is via Sydney Dance Lounge on the ground floor. We are a 15 minute walk from Circular Quay Train Station.
There is metered street parking on Hickson Road or an all-day parking station Interpark, Towns Place.
The 324 or 325 Bus travels to Hickson Road from Town Hall Station.
Click here to plan your trip to Sydney Dance Company.
Is there a membership fee?
No, there is no membership fee like a gym. You can pre purchase a single ticket or ticket pack online and schedule your classes in advance. Or, you can purchase a walk-up ticket on the day in person at our Reception desk.
What is a Swipe Card?
When you purchase your first Ticket Pack, we issue you with a Sydney Dance Company swipe card. Swipe cards have our Sydney Dance Company logo on one side and a barcode on the other side. The barcode is unique to each student and identifies you in our system. When you come to take a class, with one swipe we can bring up your account details or sign you into class if you have classes in your account.
Can I purchase classes online?
Yes! Tickets can be purchased in our online store. Our receptionist will look up your details and set you up with a swipe card when you come in for your first class (Cards cannot be posted out). If this is your first class and you don’t yet have a login, the system will prompt you to create one.
You can pre-pay for a casual ticket or a 3, 5 or 10 Pack at a discounted rate.
Please note that there are no refunds, exchanges or extension of expiry date. All classes are non-transferrable and may not be used by another person.
How do I purchase class tickets in-person at the Sydney Dance Company Studios?
Our reception desk is located at the end of the Café, before you start walking down the corridor to our studios. Please arrive at least 15 to 20 minutes prior to the start time of class in order to make a purchase at the desk. You can pay by Cash, Eftpos or Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard or Amex). We do not accept personal cheques.
Please note that there are no refunds, exchanges or extension of expiry date. All classes are non-transferrable and may not be used by another person. Tickets are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase. This 6 month period is inclusive of any public holidays or Christmas closures.
If I buy a Ticket Pack, can I share the tickets with my partner or friend?
No. Ticket Packs can only be used by one person. They are non-transferable and you cannot share them with another person.
Do you have terms or start dates?
Classes run continuously throughout the year. We don’t have terms or start dates, so you can join in anytime! Different routines are taught each week, so that new students are not left behind.
Do I need to make a booking or reserve a spot in class?
You can Schedule your classes in advance online, or you can buy your ticket at the Reception Desk on the day and attend a class as a walk-up customer. If the class is already booked out online, you may be asked to choose another class.
If I want to attend a class, what time do I arrive at the Sydney Dance Company studios?
Our reception desk is open 30 minutes prior to the start time of each class. Please make sure you arrive at least 10 to 15 minutes prior to the start time.
What if I am late for class?
Students will not be admitted into class 15 minutes after the class start time. This is to ensure proper warm-up, reduce injuries and class etiquette.
How do I know if a class is right for me?
Each class specifies a level indicating its relative difficulty. If you are concerned about the level, please begin with a lower level class as a warm-up and then try a higher level class the next time, if appropriate.
How long will it take me to progress to a higher level?
This is a difficult question to answer because everyone is different. If you are feeling competent about the level you are currently undertaking and don’t find it challenging enough, then please have a chat with the teacher after class and ask them if you could potentially try a higher level class.
Do you have change rooms and showers?
Sydney Dance Company has male and female change rooms, hot showers and toilets. The facilities are located at the end of the corridor on the opposite side of the studios. We do not have Lockers.
What do I do with my belongings during class time?
Please take your sports bag or hand bag into the dance studio with you and place it against the side wall in the studio.
How old do I have to be to take class?
You must be 16 years or older to take any Open Program dance class at Sydney Dance Company. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this rule.
What is the average age of students in the class?
The majority of students in class are aged in their 20s and 30s, however all ages attend from 16 to 60!
Do you have classes for the elderly?
We offer a Seniors Class for ages 55+ on Thursdays at 12.30pm. This class is $10 and teaches Jazz and Tap. However, there are other classes offered by Sydney Dance Company that are also suitable for mature age students. Please call our office on 02 9258 4818 for a recommendation.
Do you have Performances or Concerts?
No. The Open Program classes do not offer performance opportunities.
For all other questions, please call 02 9258 4818.